La Habra is a city in the northwestern corner of Orange County, California, United States. In the 2010 census, the city had a population of 60,239. Its related city, La Habra Heights, is located to the north of La Habra, and is in Los Angeles County. The name referred to the “Pass Through the Hills,” the natural pass through the hills to the north first discovered and used by Spanish explorers of the Portola expedition on July 30, 1769.
In 1839, when the area was part of Alta California, vast herds of cattle and horses grazed over the hills and valleys of southern California. Mariano Reyes Roldan was granted 6,698 acres (27 km2) in that year and named his land Rancho Cañada de La Habra. In the 1860s, Abel Stearns purchased Rancho La Habra. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.4 square miles (19 km2), 99.92% of it land and 0.08% of it water.
It is bordered by La Habra Heights on the north, Brea on the east, Fullerton on the south and southeast, La Mirada on the west and southwest and East Whittier on the west, Whittieron the northwest and a small unnamed section of unincorporated Los Angeles County on the northeast.